CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
CHARLES L. BREWER DISTINGUISHED TEACHING OF PSYCHOLOGY AWARD
About the American Psychological Foundation (APF)
APF provides financial support for innovative research and programs that enhance the power of psychology to elevate the human condition and advance human potential both now and in generations to come.
Since 1953, APF has supported a broad range of scholarships and grants for students and early career psychologists as well as research and program grants that use psychology to improve people’s lives.
APF encourages applications from individuals who represent diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, and sexual orientation.
About the Charles L. Brewer Distinguished Teaching of Psychology Award
The Charles L. Brewer Distinguished Teaching of Psychology Award recognizes significant career contributions of a psychologist who has a proven track record as an exceptional teacher of psychology.
- $2,000 award
- $1,000 travel stipend and round-trip airfare to APA convention
- Plaque presented at the APA convention
- Awardees are invited to give a special address at the APA convention
Eligibility Requirements & Evaluation Criteria
Nominees should demonstrate and will be rated on the following dimensions:
- Have demonstrated achievement related to the teaching of psychology
- Exemplary performance as a classroom teacher
- Development of innovative curricula and courses
- Development of effective teaching methods and/or materials
- Teaching of advanced research methods and practice in psychology
- Administrative facilitation of teaching
- Research on teaching
- Training of teachers of psychology
- Evidence of influence as a teacher of students who become psychologists
- Nomination cover letter outlining the nominee’s contributions to the teaching of psychology
- Current CV and bibliography
- Up to ten supporting letters from colleagues, administrators, and former students
- An appendix of no more than two to three supporting documents
- A one to three page statement of teaching philosophy from the nominee
- All nomination materials must be gathered by the nominator and submitted online.
Submission Process and Deadline
Please apply online by December 1, 2016.
Please be advised that APF does not provide feedback to grant applicants or award nominees on their proposals or nominations.
Questions about this program should be directed to Erin Carney, Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.