Ninety-Seventh Annual Convention
April 27 – 30, 2017
Sheraton Grand, Downtown | Sacramento, California
Five reasons to go to the convention!
- Over thirty distinguished speakers
- Meet students and professors from other colleges who share your interests.
- Visit with representatives of graduate programs, learn about new books from major publishers, and buy some great stuff from The Psych Store.
- Attend special programs for students sponsored by Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, and by Psi Beta.
- Attend social events planned throughout the convention.
Convention Speakers include: Sharon Hamill, Judith Torney-Purta, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Lynette Bikos, Gail Goodman, Dean Simonton, Simine Vazire, Nolan Zane, Amber Gaffney, Serena Chen, Phillip Zimbardo, Linda Mona, Karen Rook, Josef Ruzek, Marguerita Lightfoot, Harold Takooshian, Bella DePaulo, Tania Isreal, Robert Gifford, Heidi Riggio, Cameron Neece, Joshua Swift.
WPA Convention Registration
Important note: Everyone planning to attend the convention must register. Advance registration is open until April 7; you may register at the convention but the registration fees increase. Student convention registration now includes student affiliate membership in WPA. Students no longer need to fill out a membership form or decide if they wish to register as a member or non-member. Professionals still have the option to register as a member or non-member.
Primary presenters must register prior to the submission deadline (see the Call for Proposals). Early registration is open until April 7, 2017. Payment for early registration must also be completed by April 7. After April 7, on-site registration is available with increased fees.
The 2017 Convention Program is now available. Use it to search for all your favorite topics and presenters. The WPA convention app will be available soon, to help you build your personalized schedule.
Continuing Education Credits
Across the Terman Teaching conference and the WPA convention, over 40 sessions have been approved for CE credit. This represents over 50 hours of programming, covering a wide range of presentations and workshops. Check out the detailed schedule.
You must register for the CE credits — this is separate from your convention registration.
Terman Teaching Conference
The Terman Teaching Conference is a full day of lectures and workshops to enhance your teaching accomplishments. We invite psychology teachers from all levels to join us for a stimulating day of presentations.
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Time: 9:00am – 5:30pm
Register: You may pre-register for the conference when you register for the convention, or you may pre-register separately by clicking here. The fee for pre-registration is $25 until April 7. Registration at the conference is $30.
Our initial lineup includes:
- Jodie Ulman (Making It Relevant: Teaching the “Hard Classes” aka Statistics)
- Coffee Break
- Aaron Richmond (Becoming America’s Next Top Model [Teacher]: An Evidence-Based Guide)
- Lunch Break
- John Capitanio (The Role of Animal Research in Psychology)
- Anne Duran (Word Links: An Activity to Reinforce Terms)
- Heidi Riggio (Teaching Controversy: Sexuality and Related Topics)
- Vivia McCann (TBD)
- Conference Closing & Evaluation
Faculty-Student (Speed) Research Exchange
Students, have you ever wanted to sit down with a faculty member and pick their brain about research, graduate school, or career advice? Well, this event is for you!
Student Volunteers Needed
We have a few more student volunteer spaces left. In return for 5 hours of volunteer hours, WPA will credit you the $75 you paid for registration.
Please go to this link and sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0849a4ae23abff2-western
Read our Convention Code of Conduct
All our booths are booked. We have a couple of tables left in the Registration area that are still available. The fee is $800 and while it is a prime location, it is not secured so everything of value needs to be removed overnight. Please contact Lorraine at Lorraine.firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
More Convention Information
- Call for Proposals for WPA 2017 in Sacramento — includes submission instructions / deadline Nov. 15
- Student Convention Guide (includes letter of support for student travel applications)
- Continuing Education Credits
- Terman Teaching Conference
- Exhibits & Program Ads
- Convention Program Archive