Ninety-Seventh Annual Convention
April 27 – 30, 2017
Sheraton Grand, Downtown | Sacramento, California
Five reasons to go to the convention!
- Over thirty distinguished speakers
- Meet students and professors from other colleges who share your interests.
- Visit with representatives of graduate programs, learn about new books from major publishers, and buy some great stuff from The Psych Store.
- Attend special programs for students sponsored by Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, and by Psi Beta.
- Attend social events planned throughout the convention.
Convention Speakers include: Sharon Hamill, Judith Torney-Purta, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Lynette Bikos, Gail Goodman, Dean Simonton, Simine Vazire, Nolan Zane, Amber Gaffney, Serena Chen, Phillip Zimbardo, Linda Mona, Karen Rook, Josef Ruzek, Marguerita Lightfoot, Harold Takooshian, Bella DePaulo, Tania Isreal, Robert Gifford, Heidi Riggio, Cameron Neece, Joshua Swift.
Important Registration News
WPA Convention Registration:
Important note: Everyone planning to attend the convention must register. Advance registration is open until March 31; you may register at the convention but the registration fees increase. Student convention registration now includes student affiliate membership in WPA. Students no longer need to fill out a membership form or decide if they wish to register as a member or non-member. Professionals still have the option to register as a member or non-member.
Primary presenters must register prior to the submission deadline (see the Call for Proposals). Early registration is open until March 31, 2017. Payment for early registration must also be completed by March 31. After March 31, on-site registration is available with increased fees.
CE credit will be available for selected sessions. Information on the 2016 CE sessions is available in this flyer. CE Credit will be available for the Terman Conference. You must complete a registration for the CE credits — this is separate from your convention registration. Information on CE credit at the 2017 convention will be available in the spring.
Terman Teaching Conference:
The Terman Teaching Conference is a full day of lectures and workshops to enhance your teaching accomplishments. We invite psychology teachers from all levels to join us for a stimulating day of presentations.
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017.
Register: You may pre-register for the conference when you register for the convention, or you may pre-register separately by clicking here. The fee for pre-registration is $25 until March 31. Registration at the conference is $30.
Our initial lineup includes:
- Jodie Ulman (Making It Relevant: Teaching the “Hard Classes” aka Statistics)
- Coffee Break
- Aaron Richmond (Becoming America’s Next Top Model [Teacher]: An Evidence-Based Guide)
- Lunch Break
- John Capitanio (The Role of Animal Research in Psychology)
- Anne Duran (Word Links: An Activity to Reinforce Terms)
- Heidi Riggio (Teaching Controversy: Sexuality and Related Topics)
- Vivia McCann (TBD)
- Conference Closing & Evaluation
Read our Convention Code of Conduct
- Call for Proposals for WPA 2017 in Sacramento — includes submission instructions / deadline Nov. 15
- Hotel & Travel Information
- Writing a Conference Abstract
- WPA Convention – Registration & Fees
- WPA Convention – Proposal Timelines
- WPA Convention – Student Scholarships
- Student Convention Guide (includes letter of support for student travel applications)
- Poster Design Handout
- Terman Teaching Conference – will be updated in spring
- Exhibits & Program Ads
- WPA Convention – Refund Policy
- Convention Program Archive